By Pierre Sanchez
If you love accessorizing your wardrobe with sterling silver jewelry or if you only wear it on occasion, you have probably wondered what are the best ways to take care of and clean your sterling silver pieces. Well, in that case, we here at AeraVida have compiled a few helpful tips on how to keep your sterling silver jewelry looking its best.
Sterling silver is a metal alloy that is normally made up of 92.5% pure silver, with the other 7.5% consisting of other metals. A popular metal because it is both affordable and malleable, sterling silver is used for many things. But there is a downside with silver, it tends to tarnish or darken over time. The reason being a chemical reaction between the metal and oxygen or sulfur particles in the air. Tarnished silver looks as if it is dirty and it no longer has it’s shine. So, if your jewelry is not what it used to be, there is a way to restore it back to its original glory. It simply needs to be cleaned and with a few easy-to-follow steps, you can keep your sterling silver jewelry looking its best for years to come!
Knowing what’s harmful to your sterling silver jewelry is the best way to combat tarnish. For your daily wearing, here are a few things you should consider:
Keeping your jewelry clean is a great way to prevent it from tarnishing. There are countless methods for cleaning your silver jewelry, but here are the best methods that we have found. These tried and true methods can be easily done at home.
After you’ve given your jewelry a good cleaning, you can finish the process by using a polishing cloth that’s specifically made for sterling silver. If there is a lot of tarnish, you can repeat this process as often as needed.
Remember, the key to keeping your sterling silver tarnish free is to regularly clean it. Removing tarnish as it builds is the key. Your job becomes exponentially harder if you allow tarnishing to build up. There are other methods out there that you may come across, but we recommend these three because of how gentle they are on your silver jewelry.
Storing your silver jewelry properly when not in use will also combat tarnishing. Here are some useful tips to help you store your pieces correctly.
Do not store in paper, cardboard, or cotton-filled boxes: these boxes may contain traces of sulfur which will contribute to tarnishing.
There are a few other things you may try when looking for ways to prevent your sterling silver jewelry from tarnishing.
All in all, keeping your sterling silver clean comes down to maintaining a balance of regular at-home care with preventive measures. Remember that it’s easier to prevent tarnish than it is to remove it after it occurs. If you see tarnish beginning to form, be sure to clean it immediately. Following these steps will help keep your sterling silver looking like new for years to come!